Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh Flip! I blew up the microwave!!!!

So, Scott and I got home night before last and found that the house smelled like something had been burnt, and after a thorough search, found that something had "exploded" inside the microwave. Tay said the top popped off her container of leftover spaghetti, and it got all over the inside of the microwave. Ok, well..... I made her scrub out the microwave. Of course, she didn't do a very fabulous job of it (still looked like exploded spaghetti inside), but it also still smelt considerably burnt.

Anyway, this morning, with enough time to do something about it myself, I set about scrubbing the thing out. A good while back I'd read that if you put a microwavable container of white vinegar in the microwave and set it to heat, the humidity produced by the simmering vinegar will loosen the dried on food. I've done this before. It works!

This morning, I set the bowl of vinegar in to heat up, and then scrubbed up the microwave a bit. Smelling a bit better now. Well, not all the dried on spaghetti sauce was coming out, so I closed the microwave again with the bowl of vinegar inside. Set it for just one minute to bring that vinegar back up to a simmer, producing humidity to loosen the food inside.

Almost the full minute had gone by, when there was an explosion. I had just come into the computer room for a minute...... Rushed back to the kitchen and found that the door of the microwave had blown open, the bowl of vinegar was on it's side, and the lighted display on the microwave was dark. Out.

Finished scrubbing up the microwave (it looks good now!) and closed the door. Still no lighted display. Unplugged and replugged it in..... Still no lighted display or any beeps, dings or movement (unless I'm shaking it, of course)...... We'll see if it works this evening. Sometimes just sitting and "cooling off" does the trick. But I doubt it this time.

The FIL MAY have a new microwave (new to us, slightly old to them, as the MIL goes out and buys a new one almost every year) that we can bum off him. Otherwise we're going shopping for a new microwave. *wry smile* Go figure.

Anyway...... Just had to share. *shaking head* It's ALWAYS something!

Hope y'all are doing well. I'll try to post a full post soon.

Have a Blessed rest of the week!

4 comments:

LadyStyx said...

Oh goodness gracious! Hopefully your FIL has one so you don't have to worry about replacing it.

Tori_z said...

Oh, not good!

At least you got it clean though. ;)

Fr. Peter Doodes said...

Hi Kati,

I have done the vinegar trick and it has always worked well, but it does sound as though your microwave had terminal problems beforehand.

Our cooker blew up recently, but I was able to fix it, sad to say, as it is over 20 years old and as safe as a Chevrolet Corvair.

I hope your weather is still good for planting and we all look forward to the photos.

barefoot gardener said...

Oh, man! How exciting! Well, except the having to replace the microwave thing. Still, I have always had an urge to leave a wad of tinfoil in one. They say it makes a wonderfully exciting explosion. I have never had the guts to do it, though....

Good luck!