Well, here are some pictures of my very first apron. I was in at Ben Franklin's a couple of weeks back, thinking about what I wanted to be for halloween, and saw this fabric, and decided that a kitchen witch would be perfect. I'll add a hat from one of DD's old witch costumes, a spatula or some-such in one of the pockets, and a dish-towel tucked in the waist-band. I think it turned out pretty darn cute. And of course Jenny just had to be a part of the picture as well.
Tell you what, this apron was a PITA to make. Got my sewing machine all set up, and started to do a bit of hemming, and found out that somehow our another, my tension was all messed up. Long story short, it took me several hours of tinkering with the damn machine, putting pieces back together after they'd fallen apart, pulling things apart to peer inside, and tinkering some more before I finally got it to work. After about 3 hours of tinkering, we had to leave for one of DD's practices, which is ALL that kept me from beating the crap out of that machine with one of DD's base-ball bats. ;) By the time I got home, I was sufficiently calmed enough to try again. It was still 1 am before I finished the damn apron that night, and 2 before I made it to bed (had to have my shower, before bed). I've got plans for more aprons, but only half-aprons for now. And somethings I'm going to differently. Like, I'm not going to fold the upper part of the skirt of the apron & hem it, then gather, then sew into the waist-band. That makes too many layers of fabric for my sewing machine to get through easily. I'll just simply hem the top part of the skirt of the thing, pleat (worked easier for me than gathers did), then sew into the waist-band (pre-folded twice-fold inch-wide bias tape). And DAMN does it hurt to make pin pleats through 9 layers of fabric (3 layers by the time you've completely hemmed the thing, then pleated back on itself causes 3 layers of this). Then there were two more layers in each side of the waist band, which meant sewing through a total of 13 layers of fabric, to attatch the skirt to the waistband. So, as I said, next time I won't finish the top of the skirt of the apron so thoroughly. It just doesn't need to be done, when it's going to be encased inside the waist-band in the end, anyway.
So there ya go.... Another completed sewing project to show off. Now off to the grocery store to get a few necessities.
Have a Blessed Day!