Friday, March 30, 2007

Something else I love.....

But this is a big one, and for good reason.... I LOVE finding a new book by a favorite author. Something I had no previous knowledge about. Maybe it's not even been out long enough to have some previous clue about it.

This time, it's a cd & songbook styled around the teaching songs written about in Anne McCaffery's Pern series. I've got all but the newest of those novels (and only because I'm waiting for the paperback, as I prefer paperbacks to hard-backs because they're so much easier to hold & read), but I wasn't aware that there was a cd & songbook in the works, till yesterday. And evidently it's by a couple of Washington (state) musicians who have a somewhat celtic style (from what I can tell). Well the songbook & cd are only carried by a few stores in the Pacific Northwest, and over in Europe. I got ahold of one of the stores (via email) yesterday, and they got back to me (last night) and said they've got ONE copy left, would I like them to hold it for me???

OH HELL YEAH!!!! So, emailed them back saying yes, please, and I'd get with them on the phone at some point today and actually pay for the book/cd. It was $35.95 INCLUDING S&H to Alaska (through the US postal service). And I can expect my new cd & songbook in the next couple of weeks. *totally giddy*

I just LOVE Anne McCaffery's Pern series. When I was a teen I used to spend hours reading and rereading the novels, and the _Dragonlover's Guide to Pern_ (I have both first and second editions, and if a third edition ever comes out, I'll buy that too). And gazing at the pictures in the _People of Pern_ book She collaborated on with Robin Wood. It's funny, because there's a gentleman that's been coming into the library lately (was "later", just fixed that) that looks incredibly like the portrait of Robinton. It's almost spooky. Except this guy is of average hight, while Robinton's tall. But, facially. Kinda freaky cool! Anyway, so this was one of my book-places to escape to, as a teen, when I needed out of real life. And I'm thrilled that there's now a cd & songbook to go along with the books, and so we can hear how the songs the Harper's taught would sound.

Ooooh, I'm so happy about this new find!!!! And DH was almost offended last night when I asked if I could order it. He kinda commented that I rarely buy stuff for myself, so if I see something I want that badly, just get it. That I don't need to act all worried over wanting it. ESP. if it's the last copy the store has. (And I picked that store because it's in the same town my mom's family is from, and I figured that maybe if the store wouldn't ship USPS, then a family member could pick it up for me, and send it up.)

Ahhh, I love it when things work out so well.

Ok, I'll be sitting on pins & needles for a couple of weeks till my new goodies get here. *sigh* I need to reread my Pern books. I haven't read them in a couple of years. (Heck, some of my copies need replacing, as they've already been read through so many times.)

Have a Blessed Day!

6 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

"I LOVE finding a new book by a favorite author."

AMEN sister! I am so with you on that one.

Em said...

I love reading...and you are so right...finding a new book is awesome. Heck, I get excited just finding out a new book is going to be released soon!

Kati said...

Ok, so Whim & Em, since you're both book fanatics as well.... What authors do y'all have to share with me??? ;) Always gotta be on the look-out for new reading material, ya know.

Connie Peterson said...

I listened to some of the music last night and it sounds marvelous!!!

I will have to get the Pern books and re-read them. Thank you for reminding me!

MarmiteToasty said...

One of me lads bought me a book by Harlan Coben last September for me birthday and since them Ive been hooked on him...... but with paperbacks here costing 7 quid each or $14 if your a doodle, I thought I'd have a butchers on ebay, and bugger me, Ive picked up 5 of his books for just a quid each :) thats like $1, so Im mega chufted, wont take me long to get though them though and then I will be on the prowl for something else :)

x

MarmiteToasty said...

oops that would be about $2.... just call me a dinlo lol

x