Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Kids, a car, and being sick....

This first is a before game pic of DD and her friend A., taken a couple of weeks ago during the only game her team has lost to his team.

Next is an after game pic where A's mom said A. was very reticent to get any closer to DD seeing as she is A) a girl, and B) she just lost to him & he wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't beat him up.


NOW. *grin* Pics of my new car!!!!
It's a 2005 Hyundai Sonata. We got it for between $11,000 and $12,000 (it was in the middle there somewhere, but DH signed the paperwork without me as I was supposed to be at work (but had actually already headed home to deal with this nasty cold). I like it though! The color is considerably nicer in person. It's actually rather shiny, not so matte as it appears in these pictures. And when the sun hits it, there's actually an almost lilac sheen underneath the silver/gray.

It's got 18,000 miles on the odometer, and drives beautifully. It's a 4-cylinder, which means it'll get better gas milage than my buick was (though my buick got decent milage anyway). I am now the person in my whole extended family (my parents & sisters, my inlaws & sister-in-law, and the hubby) with the newest vehical. *grin* DH's is the next-newest... A 2003 Toyota Tundra. MIL was extremely jealous yesterday when DH took the car over to show FIL, and she found out that I've got a newer car than she does. *grin* Though, at least hers was bought by her, brand new. It just happens to be several years old now. Mine was bought used, but it's new to ME! *BWG* Didn't DH do a good job?!?!?

You wouldn't believe it to look at it, but DD's biggest hockey bag actually fits in the trunk with room to spare.

Now I have to go get new stickers, though. DH just put a goalie sticker (a black&white "shadow" of a goalie) and a Jessica Galbraith fairy sticker on the rear window of my buick a couple of weeks ago. Now he's going to have to get me 2 more stickers to put on THIS car. As well as putting my fairy floormats & steering-wheel cover in my new car. And I've got to take my rear-view-mirror light-catcher charm out of my buick & put it in this.

DH said that we'll keep my buick to haul the dogs around, but I think he's an idiot if he thinks we're going to keep the buick & pay insurance on it, just for that. Dad seems to think I could even get a grand for my buick. *shrug* I don't care. Even a couple of hundred bucks would pay a month of the Sonata's payments. I'd love it if we could get 2 or 3 payments for the Sonata out of my old buick. But we'll see. Payments on my Sonata (not including full insurance coverage) are $219 a month. Not bad at all!


Now for the "being sick" part. I left work early on Sunday because I was coughing so badly that I was losing control of necessary functions. Yesterday morning I woke up feeling like I had contracted Strep throat, my throat hurt that badly. After signing the final paperwork on my car, I went to a walk-in clinic to get looked over. The strep-test came back negative, though, and the PA said she thought it looked like a sinus infection, to go ahead & head to my pharmacy & buy OTC symptomatic treatment. So that's what I did. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping much. I'm taking Robitusin DM (I think it's DM) and extra-strength tylenol for the pain.

Last night I woke up at 3 am, my throat hurting worse than it has since I had my tonsils out 8 years ago. I tiptoed into the kitchen (DH is sleeping on the couch because I'm coughing so much I'd keep him awake all night) & grabbed my coffee mug & the salt shaker to try to gargle with salt water, and see how well that'd help the pain. It didn't. Finally at about 3:30 I took one of the Tylenol 3 I saved after my surgery a couple of years ago, to try to kill some of the pain. It kicked in about 4 am enough for me to get more sleep, though it didn't kill ALL the pain, by any means.

Woke up at my usual 7:45 am, this morning to get DD off to school, and was so lightheaded & weak that I just about passed out while making her sandwich for lunch. I finally got that put together (took 3 breaks to sit down, just while making the sandwich) and laid on the couch while DD finished getting ready for school & got out the door. Man, I felt like crap!

After DD headed off to school I got myself a mug of my ACV tea to see if that'd help me feel better, but it wasn't working, so I laid down for a nap & actually got another 2 hours of sleep! NICE!!!

Then at 2:30 I got a call from the school asking if I'd come pick up DD as she was down in the nurse's office with a head-ache, a stomach ache, and a fever of 102.3. *sigh* So, I did, and now she's been dosed up on Ibuprofrin (for the fever) and is watching TV, and I'm sitting here.

She won't be going back to school tomorrow, and I won't be going to work. Which means I'm missing a whole week of work thanks to this danged cold! Thank goodness I've got the leave-time available. My last paycheck said I had 180 hours of leave-time available to me. Even missing 30 hours of work, like I am, isn't going to really hurt me. I just hope this cold doesn't morph into pneumonia like it has for a lot of people.

One of my former coworkers (and a friend) from Ben Franklin Craft's said that she, her hubby, both of her daughters, and both of her grandkids caught this same sinus infection, and it morphed into pneumonia on all of them. My hubby's had 3 or 4 coworkers also wind up with pneumonia after starting out with a sinus infection..... *sigh* I REALLY don't want pneumonia. I've come close to that once, but it was a very long time ago. Not something I want to deal with again, esp. when we're supposed to be heading to Anchorage on Thursday morning. Then again, I also hope DD's fever isn't the first stage of the flu, which has started making the rounds in our town.


Continued prayers needed for my cousin. He was apparently sent home after what appeared an improvement in his health. Then he was found collapsed on the floor in his house, in a pile of blood, and his fiancee called for an ambulance for him. Evidently the ER dr's were of the opinion that if she'd tried to get him in on her own, without the ambulance, he would have died en-route. His hemoglobin count was at 4, my mom said. (She also said that anything lower than an 8 generally results in a blood transfusion, and he was obviously considerably lower than an 8.) So, he's back in the ICU and the dr's are running more tests to try to find the cause of this bleeding.


On a happy note, today is my middle Sis's birthday. She turned 27 today. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHELLI!!!! 27.... Doesn't that make you feel old?!?!? *grin*

Ok. I actually need to give Shelli a call & wish her a Happy Birthday in person, though. So, I'll end this long post now.

Have a Blessed Day!


Robin said...

Cooooool car! Hope you feel better soon. It sounds kind of frightening.....

Autumn said...

I hope you will feel better soon. your going to love the car. I have a Hyundai Elantra and it is a good make of car.

Kris said...

Nice car Kati! I thought you said it was a 2000... glad it's newer!
Also, they found the cause of JJ's bleeding, it was an artery in behind the ulcer in his stomach. They have fixed it and he's feeling MUCH better tonight. He's staying in ICU tonight for observation (they want to continue to run labs every 6 hours) but then will probably go home tomorrow? He got at least four pints of blood today to replace the blood he lost. It *was* pretty serious... AND a close call.

Love you!
- Mom

Connie Peterson said...

Beautiful car -- congrats!!!!

As to your cold, take a hot toddy at night - it will help you sleep! Honey, lemon (equal amounts) and brandy ... either a little bit or more than equal to the other stuff. Then HOT water - not much, about twice as much as the other stuff (totaled) and drink it as hot as you can. It will help you sweat out the cold! I have taken some and they normally make me melt into the bed and I sweat all night but am better in the morning.

Good luck!

Tori_Z said...

LMAO @ "wasn't entirely sure she wouldn't beat him up"

I'm glad you managed to get a new car for yourself. Sounds like a pretty good price too. Not that I'm a great judge, since I don't know the first thing about cars, but still... LOL!

I hope you start feeling better soon. Hopefully this wont morph in to pneumonia for you. And, hopefully DDs headache and such wont come to anything. It seems pneumonia, colds, sinus infections, etc are going around all over the place at the moment. Everyone in our family has got at least a slight cold.

Good luck to DD for her tournament on the weekend.

I hope your cousin is feeling better soon, and gets to stay home next time he gets let out of hospital. Must have been horrible for his fiance finding him in that state. *continues to send prayers and possitive thoughts for him*

Happy birthday to your sister, Shelly :)

barefoot gardener said...

Nice car!

Hope you and all your family are feeling better soon. You folks gotta stay healthy up there!

Anonymous said...

Hope you all feel better, have a great trip and congrats on the car!

Brightest blessings


Celticspirit said...

Great Looking car Kati! It looks like it will be great on gas too. I hope you're feeling better soon. I've felt like crap myself since Sunday night. Take care of yourself. Barb

whimsicalnbrainpan said...

Congrats on the car!

I hope everyone is feeling better.

A belated Happy Birthday to Shelly.

I am so sorry about your cousin but I'm glad he was found in time. (((HUGS)))