Thursday, February 28, 2008

Playing Scattergories.....

So, I got this from Gardener Greg, and it looked like fun.

SCATTERGORIES" ...It's harder than it looks! Copy and paste into your blog and try it!

**Use the 1st letter of your name to answer each of the following --they have to be real places, names, things ...nothing made up! You CAN'T use your name for the boy/girl name question.

What is your name....................Kati
4 Letter word........................Kite
Vehicle..............................kart
City.................................Kansas City
Boy Name............................. Kevin
Girl Name............................ Kelly
Alcoholic Drink...................... Kahluah
Occupation........................... knight
Something you wear................... kerchief
Celebrity............................ Kevin Henkes (ok, so he's a children's author)
Food................................. kaiser rolls
Something found in a bathroom............ door KNOB
Reason for being late................ kept tripping over the dogs
Cartoon Character.................... Kermit!
Something you shout.................. KEEP AWAY!
Animal............................... Kangaroo
Body part............................ knee
Word to describe you................. Kind.

**********

STILL no word on the job. *sigh* Don't they have ANY idea how stressful this waiting is?!?!?!

**********

The temp dropped last night. When I took the dogs out at about 9:15, I could see that the Aurora was out, which means it'd cleared up & cooled down. Sure enough, the temp this morning when I got up was about -12. Ok. So that's STILL not as cold as it could be, this time of year, but it was SOOO nice having such warm weather there for a week or so.

I DID have to laugh when the little neighbour boy from 2 doors down came over to wait for DD to finish getting ready for school this morning. He comes in & comments on how cold it is and how he can't stand this cold. I just laughed & said that it's ALMOST March, and it'll warm up again soon, and besides.... He's been through -40 now, -12 shouldn't be that cold to him any more! (He & his Mom & step-Dad just moved up from California back in November.) Goofy kid shuddered & said no.... -12 is STILL really, really cold and when will it EVER warm up?!?! I told him that once we get into March, it'll start warming up nicely.

Granted, -12 feels cold as compared to 40 deg. above zero. But, compared to -40 deg..... -12 isn't cold at all!

Though, just making myself an english muffin for breakfast, and I noticed that at 10:30 am, the temp is now about 10 deg. ABOVE zero. And that's on the thermometer at the back (west side) of the house! So, evidently the sun is putting off warmth as it rises, these days! YEAH!!!!

**********

So, DD's team played a scrimmage game against the IceBreakers 8U team last night. (This team contains some of the younger siblings of some of our 10U girls.) Our team lost 2-1 to their team. Wow! And DH said that DD wasn't letting them have goals out of pity. *grin* Evidently our girls got squarely shown up. Anyway, this put DD in a bad mood, evidently. Dad told me this morning that DD came off the ice all pissy and snappish.

Then she came home all pissy & snappish as well. She was refusing to take a shower & yelling at DH and I that she wasn't going to do what we said, no way, no how. Did I ever tell you that I now completely comprehend & understand the intent & purpose of that bumper sticker that claims "Mothers of Teenagers know why some animals eat their young!" It has come to the point that even though my child isn't officially a teenager yet, I have full comprehension of what that bumper sticker means.

Needless to say, after listening to her argue with myself & DH for a good 10 minutes last night over taking a shower, she got to feel the physical representation of my frustration with her attitude. A couple of swats was all it took to get through her hormonally thick skull that I meant business and wasn't going to put up with sass & bad attitude out of her any more. She promptly took her danged shower, and _I_ didn't have to put up with any more than a couple little glares & grumbles for the rest of the night.

Unfortunately, as much as he fights with her & then slams around the house breaking crap.... DH doesn't seem to get that exerting his authority & placing a firm swat to her backside BEFORE she really gets going (or, really gets HIM going) is much better than both of them getting to a point of all-out-war. And he gets mad when I try to halt things before they get that far, because then a lot of crap gets said that can't be taken back. A lot of things get broken that can't be repaired (literally & figuratively). And everybody's day/night is ruined completely. Sorry to say, but sometimes it requires some physicallity to bring it to an end. Words don't always work. (Or, at least in last night's case, it required the physicality to break through the pissy-attitude brain-fog DD was lost in, before she got my VERBAL drift that I wasn't going to put up with her attitude any more.)

Suffice it to say, DD is in a much better mood this morning & no lasting harm was done to anything but DH's grill. (After I swatted DD a couple of times, and that's all it took was a couple, DH slammed out of the house & went to start his grill to make dinner, and slammed the lid open so hard it broke. He now needs a new grill.) But, I SWEAR that I am NOT going to let that child go through her adolescense (any more than I did her younger years) thinking that she cannot & willnot be disciplined for her actions & attitude. At least now, at 10 years old, I still have time & strength (and a bit of size) to keep drilling that through that head of hers. *wry smile*

Ah.... Well..... Like I told Dad this morning, sometimes it simply requires a hug to head things off before they get bad, but there are times it requires a swat (or few) to break through the pissy-fog if it doesn't get hugged away in time. Last night was one of the latter.

**********

I think that about covers it, for now.

Have a Blessed Day!

5 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

I never played SCATTERGORIES but I heard of it and looks like fun.

Anonymous said...

I hear ya on the bumper sticker thing! I'm glad that the boy is starting to leave this faze(he'll be 16 on Wed) and hopefully I'll have at least 6 months to recoop and reorganize before the girl hits it( she turned 12 in Jan). I wish I could say that I have the size to back up my threats but both kids are bigger than me( a lot bigger than me).... so that's out of the question. I can still yap at them so long, they usually forget what they were being brats about in the first place...LOL.

Have a good day

Brightest blessings

Heb

Anonymous said...

my "scatergories" are up.


Heb

Celticspirit said...

Kati, good for you in keeping your dd in line. Many parents today are even afraid to discipline their kids and that's what is wrong with many of them today. Some kids rule the roost. I can see in your home that you do not let this happen. You're doing a great job. Love and Light, Barab

whimsical brainpan said...

That name thing is cool. I think it'd be really hard with my name.

I'm sorry you still haven't heard about the job. (((HUGS)))

The kid from California is right. *shiver*

Good for you! I think kids do deserve a good swat on the backside when needed. My Mom did it with me and I turned out just fine. Well mostly... :-)