Monday, September 24, 2007

Some pictures for Toasty.....

Some goodies for Marmite Toasty, knowing how much she likes moose. I feel kinda silly posting these on my blog, too, after both my Mom and middle sis posted these same pics on their blogs, but oh well.

Dad said he got home from the niece's birthday party on Saturday, walked into the living room and saw this first one. These are just babes, born early this past spring, judging from their size. They've been hanging around Dad's neighbourhood and on adjacent streets, but without any sign of a Mama Moose. (Females are also known as a "cow". Males are known as "Bulls" and babies are "calves" or "a calf". Moose does not HAVE a plural, it is still moose. Not "meese" not "mooses", just "moose".)


The second twin followed the first into the yard, and they both decided to make themselves perfectly at home munching on grass & other goodies. (Plenty of clover out there!) I got these pictures VERY shortly after Dad sent them to me, and called to ask if they were still in the yard. By that time they'd moved further along to the left, well out of the area where these pics were taken, and were on the other side of Dad's driveway. At first, Dad said, it appeared that they were going to bed down in the long grass by the rhubarb patch, but Dad's dog Shiloh went after them, making a nusance of himself. Dumb dog doesn't realize that even as babies, these moose could easily stomp his butt into the ground.

Anyway, after Shiloh startled them up off the ground, they decided to continue their eatting with some crab-apple branches. I'm sure those crab-apples tasted yummy. And yeah, there were PLENTY of crab-apples left for their enjoyement after my picking sprees.

We're hoping these calves stay together in this neighbourhood this winter. There is plenty of room for them to roam & lots of things for them to eat, as well as relative safety. Many, many moose get hit just trying to cross the next street to the left of my Dad's house. It's likely that this is what happened to the Mama in this situation.

As Mom posted on her blog today, one of the most interesting situations I've ever been priviledged to be even somewhat involved in was the time Mom & Dad helped transport a little 3 week old calf (named Delta Dawn for her "birthplace") to Anchorage, after it'd been orphaned down in the Delta Jct. area. Mom & Dad had to keep the calf at their house overnight before taking their jaunt to Anchorage. While the babe was still at the house, DH, DD and I went over to see it. It wasn't very much taller than DD (literally, her head was well over it's shoulders). She was only about 4 at the time, and got to feed the calf some birch leaves. We've got a couple of pictures around here somewhere. Maybe I'll see if I can find them & post them at a later date.

The zoo in Anchorage sometimes takes orphaned animal babies & raises them. Of course that means a life of captivity, but often the babes wouldn't survive without Mom anyway. So captivity at least gives them a chance at SOME life. And, at least captivity in the Anchorage zoo involves a natural (if enclosed) environment for these animals. MOST of the animals at the Anchorage zoo are native to Alaska (with the exception of the elephant, which has just been given to some wildlife preserve down in the states, to improve her living conditions), which means that our zoo is able to provide them with a habitat that reasonably closely approximates their natural habitat, including the natural weather cycles.

So, I hope you enjoy the fun pics of these babies munchin' on Dad's lawn, Toasty!!!!

**********

Now I've gotta get heading to the craft store to pick up some more cotton yarn. When I was at the grocery store the other day a lady expressed an interest in my grocery bags & said she'd love one in pink. I told her I'd get it made, and oh here's my card...... She said she'd give me a call. So, now to get the yarn & get to work on it.

Have a Blessed Day!

5 comments:

MarmiteToasty said...

Oh I LOVE the photos..... your dads a right jammy sod lol..... I wanna live where your dad lives..... sigh.......

and how did them moose open the catch on the gate LMFAO....

Fanks for finking of me :)...... and whats the link to your mum's and your sisters blobs?

x

heather said...

Cute!

barefoot gardener said...

Those pics are so cool! I am incredibly jealous. The only wildlife I get to see out my windows are the jerks who walk to the liquor store across the street from my building right through my back yard.

I would rather have some meese...er, mooses....er, mice....er, those big brown things in my yard.

Robin said...

Very cool, Kati....wait till I show the boyfriend....

whimsical brainpan said...

Great pics Kati!